The Gardens of Villa Melzi strech out along the lake shore and are armoniously inserted into the hilly scenery of the Bellagio peninsula that divides the two branches of Lario lake.
Inland, the Villa, the Chapel and the orangery, today transformed into a historical museum, are splendid expression of neo-classical style and as such stated national monument.
The Villa that became the Andrea Melzi’s residence at the end of his political career and afterwards his summer residence until his death was decorated and furnished by some of the most famous artists of the age. The English styled gardens, enriched with sculptures, was designed by the architect Luigi Canonica and by the botanist Luigi Villoresi, both responsible for the arrangement of Villa Reale park in Monza.
Stendhal described the beauty of the gardens of Villa Melzi in his book “Rome, Naples, Florence” dated 1817.